Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My Friend Maike


This is my friend Maike (pronounced Maika) from Germany... she's been on my blog before
... Anyway, she came up to Edmonton to hang out with me before she went back to Germany. She is seriously one of the sweetest people I've ever met, she is so lovely. We met at the Navs conference last May, and at the end of the week I honestly asked her "do you want to be my friend?" :D I know this sounds hokey, but I feel like we could be "kindred spirits" or something...I know, I know, half of you are laughing at me cause I am so obviously an Anne of Green Gables fan, but that is ok :D

(That picture up there is from the night that we walked to Langano Skies for Ethiopian food, 45 minutes both ways, in major wind, it felt like -25 or something terrible. Anyway, this poor thing got frost bite to her cheeks! Ahh! I felt terrible...way to torture the forigners..."welcome to Edmonton" :S)

While she was here the heat in my appartment turned off for like 2 days and it was FREEZING COLD!!
I had to put on so many clothes inorder to even fall asleep!! I was wearing: pj bottoms with fleece pants over top, cotton sox with wool ones on top that my pants were tucked into, a tanktop, my pj top, a sweatshirt with the hood up, a wool sweater from Ecuador, a toque, and mittens!! I was definately a Michilin Man :D Then, I had like 4 blankets on my bed... I don't even know how much Maike had on, but it was the such a hilarious and unpleasant expereince :) One night we decided to go for a drive, it was snowing and I'm pretty sure it was still wamer outside than in our appartment --well, maybe that is a bit of an exageration. Anyway, while we were out we both got a craving for Dairy Queen! It was so funny cause we were all bundled up in our toques and hoods and mits and stuff, walking through the snow and wind with Blizzards in our hands, and Maike says to me "Look at how Canadian I am!!!" Awe :D

Keep in touch Maike, Love you...thanks for your friendship and wisdom and understanding heart. May the Lord continue to make you such a blessing to others as you've been to me :)

1 comment:

Christiane said...

I just found out that this girl got engaged over the holidays!! Yay! Congrats Matt and Maike :D