Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The things I will miss...

I'm writing this post WAY too late, however, I had taken a bunch of pictures a few months ago, of things around the city of Edmonton that I knew I would miss after moving away... here is my tribute to Eddy-town, my good friend for 5 years...

Flowering trees... in the Spring, there are SO many of them and they are just georgous! The white Lilacs flower first and the whole ciy smells fabulous... then the purple lilacs and chery blossoms... hummmmm...

One of my favorite things is my walk too and from work really early on Spring mornings. There is this long row of bushes that get's covered with pick flowers -for some reason they always have reminded me of Ethiopia, which makes be breath in deeper and point my heart towards Jesus every time I pass on that side walk... I already miss this part.
I don't have a picture really of this next thing I will miss, but I'll just tell you... I miss walking :) I seriously walked almost everywere... to work, to the University, to friends places, to the gerocery store (except when Paul and I would go to Superstore), to Crankpots and the Market with Meag, for Ethiopian food... :) When Janna came out to visit me one time we kept walking places and when we could set out she'd always ask, "how long to get to _____?" and my answer would always be "oh, about a 1/2 hour..." it soon became a running joke that it was only a 1/2 hour to get anywhere in Edmonton :P But, on these many daily walks I would go on, I would always come accross the trade mark "Listen" signs that were posted all over the Belgravia and Garneau areas... here are a few of the 100+ I'm sure. I dunno what they mean, but I like them!
Then there are a few little odd, perhaps nerotic ones like this next picture... of an unfinished wall in Amy's house. I have started at this wall many a time and wondered... "seriously, did they just not have enough paint for that last, not even, one square foot!!?" My OCD kicks in everytime -but I'll miss this little patch soon enough (although, truth be told, I'll miss this patch only cause when I'm looking at it, Amy is around :P)
...Well, there are many more things that I know I'll miss and don't have picutres of to share with you... my hospital, my appartment, the University campus, the ETS system (cause the Metrotransit in Hali leave much to be desired), the river valley, Hulbert's coffee shop across the street :) I know that there will always be a piece of my heart reserved for Edmonton, and when I sing along with Paul Brant I'll feel as if I too am proud to be an Albertan!! That being said, I am "Nova Scotia Bound" and that is nothin' to complain about... I know where I'm from don't you worry :D Thanks Edmonton for 5 wonderful -at times LONG- years... see you soon I hope! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea... FINALLY you post, took ya long enough! :P ha ha!!!
Hope things in California are going fabulously (actually I think today is the wedding). How long are we going to have to wait for that post/pictures??? :) Ah.. i'm just giving you a hard time...
Talk to ya later Chris

Amy

Alex said...

Thank you for that tribute. Your time in Edmonton in Edmonton was a lot shorter than mine but you've noticed things that I haven't. I couldn't have told you when the lilacs bloom, and I've never noticed those "Listen" signs. (By the way, where are they? I should look for some sometime.)