Friday, June 15, 2007

Somewhere Else West 2007


Every year we have a big Navs conference in May, after all University exams are completed! Last year, as you may recall, it was in Southern Alberta in the foothills... this year we traveled 16 hours west into the interior of British Colombia, to Rock Ridge Canyon in Princeton BC.

On the way we stayed the night at Amy's house in Clearwater after a very long drive through the Rockies at night, eating Jelly Bellies and talking :D We made one pit stop the next day at a Waterfall (sorry, can't remember the name of it) before heading out on the last leg of the journey.

Before the conference started we had a weekend of preparation for the Student Leaders. It was nice to see people from years past, catch up, and get to know people better, or for the first time.

During the week we had worship times, main session speakers, workshops, really yummy meals, hours of fabulous free time every afternoon, and lots of activities that could be done around the property. Our location was this big Young Life camp in the middle of the mountains... the grounds were beautiful, although under construction in areas. The buildings were amazing... they made my much loved camp at home look like a bunch of shacks! (but, just for the record, I'd choose Malagash over this place any day!)

Our 2 main speakers were Mike Mutungi, from the Kenya Navs (Left in the picture), and Manfred Molomo, from the South Africa Navigators (Right in the picture). It was great to talk to them and have them with us for the week, making us laugh and challenging all of us to walk closer to Jesus. The dude in the middle is my friend, and the U of A Navs staff guy, Paul Tan.

This camp had the 2nd longest zip line in all of North America, so everyone who wanted to got a chance to go down it on Tuesday during the week. Did I go? Are you kidding me? I get my kicks watching other people having fun and screaming their way to the bottom... the zip line, or roller coasters, or anything of the sort is just not my style ;) (I almost cried doing one of the "kiddie" roller coasters at West Ed Mall !!)
The week was really significant is so many ways. But, I gotta tell ya... it's really difficult to explain on here... it more of an in-person sort of thing :) Let me just say that it was a very had week for me personally. Difficult in waiting on the Lord and learning yet again how to trust Him, especially with people that I love. I had the opportunity to lead one of the workshops during the week, which was an experience that I loved. The workshop was on Freedom, a theme for the year for our Edmonton Girls, and one that I have been very passionate about since last years SEW program. The Lord has done so much in my this past year and it was so nice to go through it and try to explain/present it to others. It was really challenging, but SO worth it. If anyone wants to me to email the worksheet to them just let me know -especially if this topic of freedom strikes a chord in your heart...

At the end of the week Jeanette was able to come for the last 24 hours, which was really great -so nice to be able to introduce her to some of the people in my life these past 5 years in Edmonton :) Over all the week was really hard, but really good. We serve a God bigger than we know.

1 comment:

julia said...

Christiane, I'm reading this post and my heart is so happy for you. I'm so thankful that you were able to get away with that group again... to be encouraged and challanged.
Too, I am realizing that I'm so so thankful that I was able to live with you and can't believe that it's been nearly a year since the day that I arrived out there- yummy food at Paul's house, and fireworks from the bridge. My heart is almost sad to be here while you're writing about Alberta and people like Pablito and Amy... it's the wierdest feeling. I miss it all... can you believe it??
I love you a whole lot and am excited to hear about your week, and the stories that go along with it, in person.
J