Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Giving of Thanks

Thanksgiving...

For any of you who truely know me, you know how much I love traditions. Living away from home for the last 51/2 years has required that I start some of myown traditions. My favorite one is that I have had Josh, my cousin, here for EVERY Thanksgiving since I've been in Edmonton...5 Thanksgivings to be exact :) I think it is safe to say that now, for me, Thanksgiving wont feel the same with out him :)

This year is the first year that he has come from Sask.with the same girl twice: year 1- Kim DeVine, year 2- Jenn Spen and Sheilagh, year 3- Suzanna, year 4- Krista (his girlfriend at the time), and year 5- Krista (his now fiance :D) and Keltie (and her friend Holly). I must also say, that Krista feels much like a cousin and I am very excited about their wedding in just...a month and a half!! Yay!

The weekend was full and fun...we went to the market, visited Krista's Gramma's house (and climbed this huge tree from Krista's childhood), went to Christian Publications (the best Christian book store-wish we had one in NS) spent forever at Ikea, went out for Ethiopian food, and stayed up late to talk and hang out.

Total people were Josh and Krista, Keltie and Holly, Jordan, and then on Saturday night Owen Marshand-who I han't seen in like 2-3 years came up from Calgary with 2 of his friends, Neil and Todd. Nine people total slept in this little appartment on Saturday night-a fun adventure! It was really great to have so many people from home here...did wonders for my soul! I have never cooked a big meal for 10 people and I was really worried that we'd run out of food...not quite sure what I was thinking though...either the 24 pound turkey was bigger than I thought or we had a little "5 fish and 5 loaves" miracle happening in my kitchen...cause the food kept going, and going, and going!! Jordan made a very impressive Pumpkin pie and a sweet potato dish, and Paul brought his Pumpkin soup...yumm!

Thereis just a lot to be said for having family around...and for having people that feel like family around :) We talked to Luke on the phone, we sat around and listened to music (picked out wedding music!), we sat and talked for a long time about the roles of churches, and church membership, and just ministry...I miss times like that.

It's wierd to think that this might have been our last Thankgiving tradition here in Edmonton...but hey, we thought that last year too :) Thanks every one for coming-it was a true Blessing to have you here in my little "Happy Place." Love you guys.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris!
I'm so happy you posted about Thanksgiving. I've been waiting! It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I still haven't cooked my own turkey dinner yet (oh well). Can't wait to see you at Christmas.
Sarah

julia said...

It's about time!!
Just kidding...Wonderful update!
I'm thankful that you could have everyone at the happy place.
I'm REALLY glad that Owen and they guys finally found y'all. Did I tell you that he told me (at 1:45am)that they were going to drive back to Calgary??!
It looks like everyone had a great time. As I read your update I could TASTE the ethiopian food. I would love to eat it again. Maybe sometime.
I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Looks like a good thanksgiving! I have to say I am impressed with your cooking skills.

The Essons said...

Yummy Thanksgiving Chris! Your dinner sounds wonderful! Congratulations on another great turkey! :0)

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

hey chris
Nice pics. That was a fun thanksgiving two years ago.
Miss ya.
Susannah( not Suzanna :))

Christiane said...

oops...apparently I've been spelling you name wrong for years! :P Sorry...I still love you though.

Janna said...

hi.
I'm so glad that you've only updated once since I checked last?!? man, I get SO behind the times. nice to see all those pics again...and I'm so glad I got to at least spend ONE Thanksgiving with you in Edmonton...although I hardly got honorable mention in your post!!!:)
love you.
janna oxo

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this post. I really wished that I was there this year...we didn´t eat any turkey here in Mexico. :(

I´m so glad you had a good time with everyone! I miss seeing you on the weekends after a hard week of planting...that was my favourite part of the week. :)
Love you. Sheil

jennspencer said...

um hello...it is way past thanksgiving and I am pretty sure you have had two visitors out there!! hello??? just kiddin Chris... I am just harassing you as you would me!
love ya