Monday, October 02, 2006

Edmonton Life


So September is now over (can hardly believe it) which means that many things are now underway...the biggest of which is the Navigator/University year :)

We were bussy with our Nav table at Clubs Fair week-telling people what small groups and activities we have to get involved with during the year and giving them an opportunity to ask questions and more inportantly to get to know what we are about. It's always a fun time of year...meeting so many new people, many of them 1st year's looking rather shell shocked and overwhelmed after their first University class...very cute :) This picture is of myself, my friend Grace from Malaysia, and Moriah from BC/Montana-apparently it was "pink day" as, seriouly, most of the girls that came by the table were wearing pink!

We had our "Year Kick Off" at the end of that week, along with our anual girls breakfast (which I had to miss 'cause I was in Whistler) and guys backpacking trip. We have some new faces out this year and we are really excited to see what the Lord will have in store for us all...He has been moving in big ways in the lives of many of our leadership team and staff and really...life with Him is SO exciting.

Last weekend was our Fall Retreat (oops...sorry, it has been re-titled to "Fall Advance") with the University of Calgary gang. It was a wonderful weekend for me personally as I took a lot of time to be with the Lord, pray, read, and just BE. I fell asleep by the lake on Saturday for like 2 hours in the sun...just listening to the water...did wonders for my soul :) I also got to spend some good quality time with my Roommate Pam...it is amazing to me how blessed I am because we still laugh until we can't breath and enjoy each other so much after 1 1/2 years...and despite so many things eh Pumpkin? ;)

Following the retreat I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Calgary with a couple from England (well, they are from Canada now...they moved 2 years ago to work with the Staff primairily by way of development and equipping). Anyway, Kath is also discipling me along with Paul, so it was great to have a few days with her-spending time in the Word and in prayer together...and to just talk and catch up. While in Calgary I was also able to spend time with Maike a friend from Germany that I met at our Somewhere Else Conference last May. She and I were instant good friends since that week and she has been a huge blessing to me.

September has really been a wonderful month as I have been doing more traveling and Nav-ing than working :) I certainly am not complaining about that since I felt in need of a break, and truely my heart, in Edmonton, is so much more on campus and in the Nav ministry than in the hospital-not to say that I don't like it, but it's just not what makes me tick in terms of Nursing :) However...I have WONDERFUL NEWS...!!

I am now a fully lisenced and qualified REGISTERED NURSE in the Province of Alberta :) I was very relieved to learn that I had passed my grueling exam from June and that I was clear from having anymore to do with University :) I can hardly believe that I really am a Nurse...4 years feels like they have flown and as if I was just magically handed these initials to place at the end of my name...maybe one day it will hit me that I am a professional with a career... ha! In the mean time, I will enjoy the pay raise and relief from no classes to attend! :P

So overall things are going very well here in Edmonton. I feel that the Lord is truely working in, and by His Grace, through my life. My development/training with Navs is going good-although I am torn with having to work full-time at the same timl...the 2 really don't go hand in hand very well and unfortunatly Navs usually gets the short hand. I am still praying and seeking the Lord as to what He would have for me next semester. I know where my heart is at, and what it desires most in this very moment, but all that means nothing if it isn't what HE has for me. I would greatly appreciate your prayers that I would be listening to the Holy Spirit and sensitive to His leading...but also that I would not focus so much on the future that I am hindered to do His work here in the present. He is very much Alive and Active and On the move among us...Praise His Name :)

9 comments:

The Essons said...

congratulations RN!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the working world! You're gonna notice a few things:

1. No homework. Bonus.
2. More free time. Bonus.
3. A pay check. Bonus.
4. Bills. Not so bonus.
5. No summer vacation. You'll get used to it.

I think I probabily know about a dozen nurses now...

Janna said...

Cool to see it in writing Chris. I'm so proud of you. I remember when you applied to U of A....(and ONLY U of A). Oh, la locura. :) It's so good to come to your blog and get caught up, kinda. I had a chat with Jeremy Horne today for a couple of hours. We got mora milkshakes. :) He's of course got a Nav heart(only the former president, hehe)...and it was a blessing to feel understood, supported and cared for in that way. ok...I'm going to call you I think - there is too much to say (i hope you're not working tonight). xo

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Chris! It still strikes me funny some days that I am a "grown up" and have a career too. Oh well. My prayers will be with you regarding your future. I love your heart and desire to follow God's will.
Thanks for the encouragement that you are to me.
xoxo sarah

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the RN!

Janna said...

who knew Ian Holdway was reading your blog. :) ...and why does Tim always comment on yours and never on mine!
love you Chris. te veo muy guapa en todas esa fotos oye...

Camille said...

Anybody tell you lately that they love you? Cuz I do.
Ever notice how Scott is ALWAYS in the foreground of pictures, never the back? And Paul is always in the back?
Grace is possibly the most photogenically gifted woman on earth.
And - duhdahdaaaaa.... RN pay. saweet!

Anonymous said...

Muli Bwanji Chris
So FINALLY I read your blog & get caught up on it. It's great to read. I love it! Got my NEW computer, very happy! ... Love ya hun... see ya tomorrow (or are ya working???) Amy

Anonymous said...

I think it's time for a new post my friend!