Thursday, September 28, 2006

Whistler with Ma & Pa Fox

A few weeks ago I had a dream come true...a week in the mountains with my parents...and no hospital :) I was SOOO much in need of a break from work (I now understand how these vetran women of Nursing are burnt out and unpleasant after years of working...and I've only been doing this for 3 months! oh oh!) Anyway, I flew from Edmonton into Vancouver to spend a few days there before heading to Whistler for Dad's Royal LePage Conference--mom and I were just tag alongs-- :)

The Irvine's, mom & dad's good friends moved to Vancouver about 10 years ago and we were able to spend some good time with them before the conference. Their kids were friends with Janna and I growing up so it was really great to see Joanna and meet her boyfriend Pierre after SO many years! (Caleb lives in Calgary) There was lots of laughter-as usual with these four-and we even had a lobster dinner (mom and dad brought them from home...yay!)

I was also able to spend an afternoon with Jeanette which I had been really looking forward too! We walked around China Town, in and out of all the little gerocery shops (actually trying to track down a specific coffee candy that Dad says is to die for...but no such luck)...I love looking at foreign (as in 'new to me') food. It is so interesting...dried scallops, dried sea cucumber, dried dragons on a stick...cool! We went into this little flea market and both bought a belt for 5 bucks...nice deal :) Actually, "we" did more shoping than was intended...Jeanette found this absolutly georgous coat-wish I had a picture of her in it cause she looks wonderful-and it was a rediculous price :) Anyway! So we wandered around with our Starbucks in hand meandering through the streets (accidently crossing probably the worst intersection in Vancouver....Main St and East Hastings...oops!) and through a really nice little park with bamboo, big plants, ponds and the biggest gold fish I've ever seen--could feed a whole village seriously! Then we walked and talked along the waterfront, had dinner, and went back to her new place...it was a nice day. Sure wish we'd had more time though Jeanie...just not quite the same after being apart so long huh?

We were off to Whistler the next day traveling up with a bunch of Dad's coleagues in a bus! If mom and I didn't feel "out of place" yet...we sure did when we arrive infront of our 5 diamond hotel with all the staff and conference leaders clapping outside with a literal red carpet for us to walk off the bus on! Swanky! woof... it was a bit over the top, but hey, when else in this life am I going to be able to say that I walked down a red carpet! (I'll not tell the embarising story about how I dropped/threw my Nalgeene at the pretty hotel consierge-man on the way off the bus!! :S) The "out of our league" feeling didn't go away as we talked into the Hotel...becuase Dad was on the planning comitte for this shin-dig we were put up all expenses paid in the Fairmont...picture needed...my name for it? Mountain Palace :) One day I walked out the loby doors to see a couple sitting (perhaps awaiting their limo) on a bench...he was wearing kahki pants and a purple sweater and she was wearing perfect gray hair a white turtleneck under a navy blazer with gold buttons, kahki pants and little navy and white tennis shoes...where is the yacht??? (*here's how 'high class' I am...I had to look up online how to spell that word!*) Good fun! Needless to say, it was the nicest...and cheapest!... hotel that I'll probably ever get to say at :) We made good use of the pools and hot tubs twice a day...steared clear of the gym though ;) Actually mom bought us goggles so that we could "do laps" while we were there-which we did. But, what do you think...Are my goggles a bit too tight in this picture!? Mom almost wet herself laughing at this :)

We were such hard-core swimmers that we were even in the pool/hot tub the day it snowed!! Gotta live it up while you can...that's the Fox moto :)

Unfortunately I have limitted pictures of Dad on this trip...he was "working" and bussy with conference stuff most of the time I was there, but mom and I got some good time in together during the day :) We poked around in all the little shops, did lots of walking, contemplated the zip line, enojoying the mountains, ate good food, and went up the gondola on Whistler Mountain.

So our first day there was the best weather...after that is was pretty rainy and even snowy..yikes! The day we went up the gondola, we couldn't even get all the way to the top-just the midway point due to weather conditions, but mom and I still had fun. I liked this gondola experience better than in Ecuador-the pillars were closer together which greatly decreased the "sway factor!" As much as I love summer, there is just something about snow that makes me happy-not that I am wishing winter upon us quickly, but to climb a mountain, have snow for an afternoon and then come back down the montain and leave the snow behind is NICE! :) Mom and I even had a snow ball fight on the top! We bought some post cards...which was depressing cause they were all of the "beautiful view" from where we were...but we could hardly see 20 feet infront of us! oh well...I guess it's just nice to know that its out there?? I'm trying to be positive on missing the view :P

We felt bad for this 'little' bear...all covered with snow -and can't even wipe it off! :)

There was this really cool looking inukshuk up there too, it was huge...and very patriotic-I really like these :) Like Biblical "Standing Stones" to mark a time/story about what God did--they're all throughout the old testiment.

Well, I think I've talked about most things, and showed you all the best pictures... no..that's not true...I have a few more...
Jenn Spen made be take a "Princess" picture...and this is the best I have...us in these big white "robes" wtih the Fairmont "F" on the pocket :)... It was a pretty sweet vacation from "real life" and SO good to spend time with mom and dad. I cried when the bus was pulling out from Whistler...not becase I was leaving there, but because I've been away for so long dang-it, and I just love my parents :) The Lord has really blessed me throughout my life with them. They are wonderful parents-fun and funny, wise and caring, supportive and encouraging... I LOVE YOU!
Can't wait to see you at Christmas.

This last picutre is driving on the Grayhoundon the way back to the airport...back to real life... But, the sun's rays are shining through...God's Light and Hope permeates even the darkest clouds...He is Love.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics and post! Looks like a pretty posh getaway :) I miss the rockies :(.

Why can't your dad keep his shirt on!? :)

Hi Jeanette!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Looks like you had a nice "high class" time! That's awesome that you and Jeanette got to see each other (although breif).
Love hearing your stories, keep 'em coming!
Jo

The Essons said...

hey chris -looks like you had a great time with mom and dad! is jeanette living in BC now?

i'm glad you had a good break from the nursing crazies!
love, steph

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris!

I loved this post. I laughed out loud at some of the pictures. What a fun trip. I am looking forward to seeing you at Christmas. Until then I hope you are encouraged as you work out West, and are discipled.
Love you,
Sarah

Janna said...

Hi.
ohhh...i feel a loss for words. i'm so glad you had such a nice time together...makes me lonely. :) That is a very funny picture of Dad in that komono. Haha...wouldn't that be what Mom would call it Chris?! love you.

Anonymous said...

Chris... This is Kim DeVine and well i thought it was due time to check out your blog here, I have checked it out before for sure but I have not in about a month or so and well I just have to express to you the JOY in my heart as i look at pictures of you and your mom and dad!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE that your dad loves to take pictures without a shirt, LOL i have a few of those when i cam to NS. :) It just makes me grin. i miss you and love you and cannot wait to be there in like two weeks!!!!!!! man it is going to be GREAT!! love you more than you will ever know Christiane FOX!!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see photos from Vancouver and Whistler, and particularly of the Fairmont Chateau Whistler. It brings back fond memories having worked in Whistler, and for the hotel from November 2004 to April 2005. Congrats on becoming an RN, although probably old news by now.