Friday, September 15, 2006

Indescribeable...Untameable

There is nothing quite like driving with a friend, windows down wind whipping, music blaring declaring God's God-ness, staring at His amazing creation, goosebumps on arms, knowing that a great day awaits you :)

As our "last horah" Julia and I rented a car and headed out towards the mountains her last full day in Alberta :) We had SUCH a great time...it was the highlight of my summer (well, at least the "fun" highlight!) I finally got to see some mountain goats...or were they the mountain sheep? I don't remember...it's easier to tell sheep and goats apart in Africa--tails up or tails down? :) We also saw lots of caribou and dear...and hoped and prayed ALL day that we would see a bear... After all, Julia had prayed the whole 4 hour drive to Jasper that the rain/storm clouds in the distance would clear so that she could see the mountains...and the Lord answered! :) It was a perfect day-weather wise...beautiful clouds too :D

So we headed off to Angel Glacier, which I had visited 4 years ago and loved. It was snowing the last time I was there so I was unprepared to see how brown things were and to see that you could walk right up to the glacier....SOOOO cool!! It probably didn't help that the 2 of us had watched Al Gore's "Inconvienient Truth" movie about Global warming this summer...the glacier looked smaller to me :) I think that by far, one of the top three cool things I've seen or done in life thus far was walking INTO this glacier (along with seeing Tungaraguha volcano active and spewing ash, and almost getting trampled by a live hippo in Ethiopia). Julia will kill me for putting this picture up, but-don't look at her...look at the craziness of the glacier roof!! These caves were amazing...I was wondering if we might not be in the middle of an Avelanche by talking/echoing inside them, especially when we heard one give a big crack! --you should have seen the looks on our faces...whew! :) Jules stole a rock that was stuck inside some ice for her dad-we figure that she could very possibly be the first person to actually touch that rock besides God Himself! After all...this is Noah Flood water left overs! :) Enough to make a fella "star struck!" This place was so beautiful, the glacier lake so green and SO cold.

There were lots of people walking to and from the Glacier that day...many accents from British to Chiniese, but most of the people all decked out in hiking gear, complete with walking sticks/poles and backpacks....Julia and I were doing the hike in our Birkenstocks :)...we took a picture to prove it, and I personally think Freeman should use it as a poster adervising his business!...just a thought :)

We got to see a little piece of the glacier break off up at the top...("and people say there is no such thing as global warming..."). Well, it looked small from where we were standing...but in actual fact, it was probably the height of multiple "me's" :) I think that, had we had lots and lots of time, we both could have just stayed exploring and enjoying the Lord's creation for hours and hours. It was so great. Eventally we started toward the car to head off in the direction of a new adventure, when Miss Julia desided to feed these gray birds that showed up...

"What don't feed the wild-life sign Paul?" ;)...I don't think that birds even count as wild life.

Who knew birds liked popcorn so much!? As a tribute to Joanna I sang Mary Poppins "A spoon full of sugar" while feeding these things...Julia can testify. It is that song that she has a robin on her finger isn't it? :)

Our next stop was on the other side of the park to see from a distance the glacier we were just at...and no, Julia, it wasn't Mt.Robsin ;) Then we walked around Downtown Jasper for a while...drooled inside a Chololate Factory...and left like good little goldie locks's, not buying the very expensive but yummy looking stuff (I suppose it helped that niether of us had cash...but we like to call it self control ;) Unfortunatly, we didn't see a bear...but Julia was more than happy to pose with this fella'...I guess we weren't specific enough when we prayed....we just asked for a bear...next time maybe we'll pray for a "real-live" one ;) We had a great drive home-good conversation with a star gazing stop on the side of the highway. Love you Jules...Big bear Hug :)

6 comments:

julia said...

Chrisssss. good post. I'm so glad that you finally updated and put those stories and pics up.
That trip was definitly the "fun" highlight of my summer. Even though it was reallllly short, I'm so glad that we went. It was beautiful.... thanks to the Lord for the AWESOME weather:D. I miss you and loveeeee you. from Jules..
p.s. I can't believe you put that seizure pic up. It's sooo bad!

Briggins said...

When I was outside Jasper 2 summers ago we were lucky enough to see a bear just outside of the town, it was pretty cool. Then one of the park rangers that looks like the dude of Yogi Bear came out and shot a flare gun to scare him away. I guess they don't like having bears at the campgrounds.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
I love all your posts!
Thanks for the tribute to my childhood love (or maybe still my love, but who needs to know). Your pictures are amazing, it looks like you guys had a great summer together!

Carolyn said...

Hi Christiane,
Remember me???? How is Foxy's little sis? From your blog it looks like life is great, I am happy for you. Great pictures!
Love, Carolyn (Janna's friend from BBC - in case you forgot) :)

Janna said...

Hey "foxy's little sis". shoot. :)
Sorry I couldn't call the other night. I tried sending a text message, but didn't hear back from you, I assume you didn't get it?!? (Or Dad won't let you send anymore expensive messages to south America?!) :) Anyways, love you. I left an msn message for you today. Do me a favor and email me that site I asked you for?! xox

julia said...

Iiiii am a FORTUNEEEE tellerrrrr.
Innnn your futureee I see...... AN UPDATE.I see..... picturesssss and storiesssss.

can't wait to hear about it!
jule