Friday, September 15, 2006

Run Away with Jesus

Back in July I had the opportunity to go to a place called King's Fold Retreat center. My friend Paul had been there quite a few times, and as part of my ministry triaining that I have remained in Edmonton for, I went for a weekend of Silence and time with the Lord.

The retreat center is there for just that. They have individual cabins and rooms where people go to to get away from the everyday bussiness and distractedness of life and re-locate their true focus...Jesus :)

This time out there was just a blessing for me. I had myown little tree house, complete with bed, chair, desk, kettle and hot chocolate...what more could a girl ask for :) The cabin had 2 journals there that people had written in over the years as they stayed in that little "Hideaway"-and at first I really thought the idea was cheesy, but as I started to read the entries I really enjoyed listening to the wisdom, prayers, stories of healing and so on that were on it's pages. People are so broken and lives are in such messes. I'm no exception. I went, without an "aggenda" but really was hoping to spend time praying about a few things specifically, and was hoping to hear the Lord's Voice on a few specific areas of life perhaps...but I really was trying to just be silent and wait for what He would have for me. Well...I must say I was surprised. Have you ever had those "things" in life that you think you've fully handed over and layed at the feet of Jesus, only to find that months or years down the road they somehow ended up back in your hands?? Isn't that frustrating? Well...this particular time with Jesus He flippin' handed it back to me and said "Chris, this needs dealing with." Let's just say I wasn't too thrilled :) Just when you think you are healed and things in life move on, they are back...but, this was a first time for me that God Himself stoped to say "we need to dwell here." I still don't know what He is/was doing with that...I have more questions than answers, but that's ok...I got to cry for 2 hours in my little cabin with Jesus. Surprise! I had no idea He had that up His sleve for my weekend with Him :)

I had some really great times just reading Scripture, drawing-which I haven't taken time to do in EVER but is medicine for my soul, sing, enjoy creation from my favorite swing on a cliff, and just BE.

It was also a nice blessing to talk with some of the other people there. Some were attending a conference, another was given this "getaway" as a gift (and that guy really needed it), one mom who was tired of cooking and screaming kids and a bussy husband who "ran away" for a few days :)--I liked her. Others were in full-time ministry and just needed a refreshing break with the Lord...it was a really neat atmosphere. Although my favorite person that I met was Kacy...the dog :) She was beautiful and SO friendly...reminded me of Sprite and Coka the dogs from Langano in Ethiopia... The lady that ran this center told me that people often come for the weekend just to see Kacy...she is half the ministry. I believe it :) We played her version of "catch" for a long time...and she just has this way of making you think that you are her favorite person in the world...VERY therapeutic :) I wanna dog.

May I encourage you to do the same? (no, not get a dog...) Go "run away" with Jesus. Get away from the bussiness of life and spend time with the Life-Giver.

No comments: