Monday, February 02, 2009

For Julia

My dear Jules requested a post on the drama of my hand injury... So here it is! :) I'm afraid that the picture doesn't look like much, but anyway, it was! The story goes like this: I had borrowed a broom from Sarah, one of the girls here, so that I could kill a spider on the wall of my Tukul - this is no surprise to anyone - I have spider issues... So, in the vim and vigor I was using to kill the sucker, I didn't notice that the end of the broom handle was exposed metal, and not a plastic covering... Needless to say, the metal gouged into the palm of my hand giving me quite a deep cut that went beyond the skin layers into the subcut tissue and really, was worthy of a stitch. Amazing enough it hardly hurt, but bled like a bugger. Sarah (our Physician Assistant) didn't think putting a stitch would be worth it, as it was smack in the middle of my right palm and, with me using it so much, she didn't think it would stay. So! A long story short, I've been doing my best to keep in clean by covering it with a tensor (*important to note that it's the R hand that is used for all greetings and so you can imagine how quickly germies could enter if it wasn't cared for!). It's looking pretty good, a good 1/2 of it is all closed off, and the other 1/2 is giving a bit of trouble - not infected, but not exactly closing up completely.... wish I had some skin glue :) So my love, Jules - that's the story :) Hope you enjoy the picture!

4 comments:

julia said...

hahahaha. Thankyou. Good pic. and story. I was so happy when I opened your blog and saw my name on the title.
PLUS today when I looked at my webstats there was a dot fron Nairobi- even though you're in Sudan. Still its awesome.
love you. be safe, and just use a shoe to kill the next spider, ok??

Anonymous said...

oh friend, that does not look bonito, lo siento.

Janna said...

yes...for Julia. and NOT for janna. thanks for the gory blog update. maybe good it was the right hand, for if it were the left...might it not be expected to get much WORSELY infected?!?! :) ha ha.

Jo said...

CRAZY!!!!! The story of "Christiane's hand" has been going around!
I hope it heals soon and doesn't cause you too much pain:(