Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Feliz Ano, 2008!!

My deepest apologies to those of you who know the meaning of this word (ano) without the ~ on the "n", when it would mean "year" ... "Happy New Year!" I do not mean to offend, I simply have an old computer and can't figure out what command or key sequence will give me an "N" with ~ on top :P

Anyway! Enough trying to dig myself out of hole ... pardon the pun...haha :)

Happy New year! This year, in keeping with our new tradition from Ecuador, we celebrated the passing of 2007 with an "Ano Viejo" (again, my apologies)... an "Old Man" to burn as a symbol of forgetting and moving on from the regrets of 2007.

Beth and Janna (although, mostly Beth) made him... his name is Ivan Malo, and the choseing of this name has a story, although, you'll have to ask my sister about it -I don't feel at liberty to publish it all over the internet :)

Here he is burning away, our old man... in Ecuador everyone lays their Ano viejo's in the middle of the street to burn (they are filled with newspaper/straw, and firecrackers!) them on the stroke of midnight. We set ours alight at 1 am in Canada, which is 12 midnight in Ecuador.

Luckily no cops came running to our house and no neighbors complained at the Roman Candles that came shooting up in our back yard from the lap of Ivan Malo !! :D

4 comments:

Béthany said...

I am SO offended.

If I look weird in that photo, it is because Chelsey and Clayton's reception had an open bar, and I discovered Singapore Slings. The red wine was also very good.

The Essons said...

Good pictures Chris! I remember getting that pic with Janna -it was SO cold out! And we had just had the silliest breakfast at Tim Horton's ever!

Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just thought I'd let you in on a little secret: you're not in Edmonton any more! Welcome to Fall River

Anonymous said...

Oh, youo're now linked to www.fallriverchapel.com - Yay!