Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Still Twitching

Ok, so I JUST killed THE MOST disgusting and BIGGEST spider that I’ve seen since I’ve been in SUDAN... and it was IN my HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhh... now I’m all twitchy and creepy and feel like there are more lingering around every bottle or book in my hut! :P Seriously it was BIG... and not one of those flat black ones.. it was HUGE and stood OFF the ground like a full inch – the body was ROUND (not flat like all the others) and was so big it actually had a PATTERN on it!! Black, white and brown... and it had eyes... RED ones that reflected in my head lamp light!!! SOO Creepy!

Anyway, he was on my table, casually chilling out on the side of one of my big clear containers that holds all my spice containers... so I prayed (out loud, b/c that’s the only way I can cope with these crazy things), grabbed my “fly” swatter, and swung as hard and fast as I could... I hit it, but as I suspected, couldn’t kill it b/c it was TOO big for the swatter’s force – I worked up my nerve and peered underneath my table cloth were, again as I suspected, it was clinging to the underside (creeeeepy). So I took a deep breath and unleashed the wrath of my “doom” can on it, where it ran (even now I’m getting the shivers) to the far under-side of my table... I could see it’s grotesque legs twitching from where I was squatted, so again – with the doom pointed at this horrid creature, I sprayed until I was certain he would not be long for this world. :) Within 10 seconds the dizzy eight legged monster dropped to the floor, trying to flee for its life, but it was no use... for I was NOT going to let it get away (lest it be a very sleep-less night for me!)... I hit it two more times with my “fly” swatter before I was satisfied enough that it was dead. So I scooped it up onto my swatter and, with MUCH adrenaline pumping through me, gingerly maneuvered through the mosquito net at my door (keeps the bats off my porch), and out of my hut to go and get some well deserved praise from whoever was still awake in the dining hall! It was show-and-tell of the most disgusting kind :)

Needless to say I am just a little proud of myself :) (but still looking over my shoulder!)
(Photos taken by Kevin... the spider I killed was the same kind, just a titch smaller... look at the size of that thing compared to his boot!!! augh!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Christiane! Now you know you can handle any spider in Nova Scotia!! I hope you are able to still sleep soundly. Look forward to seeing you this Fall!!!!
Sarah M
ps: I was printing pictures last week for Ben's scrapbook and came across the one of you and Ben on your last night at home before you left for Sudan. He was only 5 months old...seems so long ago.

righthere.rightnow. said...

Hi Kata,

Just got linked to your blog through the SIM facebook site. I will be joining your team in just a few weeks for the summer. Thanks so much for the wonderful introduction to Doro through your writing. I look forward to meeting you :)

Sandra

Miranda said...

BAH! this blog made me smile so much! you are much more brave than i would ever be i think! i am leaving in 2 weeks to go to Tanzania for 2 weeks and haven't really thought about the bugs i will be coming across... hope i will have the courage to tackle them like you!
Miss you lots Chris!
-Miranda

Anonymous said...

Miss Fox
I was practically rolling on the floor laughing as my mind pictured this spider killing incident. How I love you! That's great you killed that little guy. Ummm and a note... don't come to Australia... they are bigger here :(